Butter Oil Biscuits & Wild Mushroom and Sage Pot Pie
Butter Oil with Wild Mushroom and Sage – these two are absolutely delightful together or alone! We are addicted to butter oil on our popcorn, pasta, eggs, and in our mashed potatoes!
This recipe is a fan favorite, it is delightful!
This recipe is made with our Mushroom-Sage Olive Oil, which contains a delicious combination of fresh sage and an array of wild mushrooms (Cremini, Shitake, and Porcini). This combination creates a rich and savory oil. It is paired well with our Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic, Traditional Balsamic and the Grapefruit Balsamic!
Ingredients for the Pot Pie
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 cup diced yellow potatoes (microwaved for 3 minutes)
- 2 cups cooked diced skinless chicken
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup mushroom-sage olive oil
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grease a 13″ x 9″ baking pan or casserole
Heat a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil, celery, onions, and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes until carrots are just tender.
- Add in the flour and stir thoroughly so no dry spots remain. Whisking constantly, add the chicken stock to the flour and vegetables. Bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened. Add the cream and continue simmering and stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Check and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the potatoes, cooked chicken, peas, and thyme. Scrape the filling into the casserole or baking pan and set aside to cool slightly while you make the biscuits.
Ingredients for the Buttermilk Biscuits
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter olive oil
- In the bowl of a food processor add all of the dry ingredients and pulse. Add the chilled butter and pulse a few times to incorporate and create small pea sized lumps of butter. Add the butter olive oil to the buttermilk and pour over the dry ingredients. Pulse a few more times until a loose, moist dough forms.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Roll out the dough to 1″ thickness and cut out biscuits 2″ in diameter. Place the biscuits on top of the pot pie filling about 1″ apart. Brush with additional buttermilk and bake for 25 minutes until biscuits are fluffy and golden.Serves 6-8.